We are a network of researchers from ten universities in seven countries on three continents.
On this page are the institutions, Principal Investigators and core staff for the GDAR Spaces research, starting in 2021. A list of researchers and staff engaged with the first period of GDAR research, 2017-2021 can be found here.
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte
- Waleska Caiaffa. Director of the Belo Horizonte Observatory for Urban Health.
Health of Populations in Transition Research Group (HoPiT), University of Yaoundé 1
- Jean Claude Mbanya. Professor of Medicine and Endocrinology at the Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences; Consultant Physician; Director of the Health in Transition Research Group; Director of the National Obesity Centre University of Yaoundé; Chief of the Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases Unit at the Hospital Central in Yaoundé.
- Felix Assah. Deputy Director and Clinical Fellow. Dr Assah is undertaking a population-based study of the links between objectively measured physical activity, metabolic disease risk and rural and urban living in Cameroon.
- Alafia Samuels. Joint Lead for GDAR. Honorary professor at the George Alleyne Chronic Disease Research Centre, Deputy Dean for Research and Graduate Programmes, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies.
- Marshall Tulloch-Reid. Professor of Epidemiology and Endocrinology. Director of CAIHR. Co-Director of the Caribbean Branch of the US Cochrane Centre.
- Georgiana Gordon-Strachan. Director, Tropical Metabolism Research Unit.
- Charles Obonyo. Chief Research Officer. Epidemiologist with an interest on evidence synthesis, physical activity and dietary determinants of NCD and childhood obesity.
- Pamela Wadende. Psychologist & Senior Lecturer.
- Taibat Lawanson. Co-Director of the Centre for Housing and Sustainable Development.
- Vicki Lambert. Head of Division of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine (ESSM).
- Maylene Shung King. Associate Professor in the Health Policy and Systems Division.
SAMRC / Wits Developmental Pathways for Health Research Unit (DPHRU), University of the Witwatersrand
- Lisa Micklesfield. Reader and Deputy Director DPHRU. Honorary Associate Professor, UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine (ESSM), UCT.
SAMRC Wits Centre for Health Economics and Decision Science – PRICELESS SA, Wits School of Public Health, University of Witwatersrand
- Tolullah Oni. Joint Lead for GDAR. Lead for the Research Initiative for Cities and Health (RICHE).
- Nick Wareham. Director of the MRC Epidemiology Unit, and Co-Director of the Institute of Metabolic Science, University of Cambridge.
- Dr Mayami Abdulla, GDAR Spaces Coordinator, MRC Epidemiology Unit
- Pamela Carbajal Perez, GDAR Spaces Project coordinator, MRC Epidemiology Unit
- John Chambers. Professor of Cardiovascular Epidemiology
- Remy Sietchiping, Head of Policy, Legislation and Governance Section.